Friday, July 11, 2014

Who doesn't love snacks!?

The following was written by Ryan Jester, a brand new Civic and Regional Development major, from Miami Hamilton about his experience working with the Boys & Girls club this summer with their Accelerated Reader program. 
I want to start out by saying that I have absolutely loved the time I have spent at the Boys and Girls Club so far this summer. I have been in the Education major for a good amount of years getting work done in the classroom in all subject areas and now I am in the Civic and Regional Development major just starting out. I believe that what we are doing here this summer and as programs continue throughout the school year for the Boys and Girls Club are just as important as the in classroom experience. Here at the Boys and Girls Club children not only have the chance to grow, develop friendships, enhance reading and art skills, but they also have a safe place to go and play throughout the majority the day.
What I have done at the club this summer has seemed relatively small in the grand aspect of everything but I know that is not the case. I have met so many children that want to read and want to get better if they are not the best. For those couple hours a week I am able to help.  They read to me and I am able to help them with a word if they don’t know it or have them hear my voice read to them while they follow along. I know that just that is making the biggest difference. They have incentives and goals and when they finish a quiz they get a snack out of the snack bin. And who doesn't love snacks?! This program is perfect for summer readers to keep the children on track and keep them ready for the next grade. I love these summer programs and after-school programs and believe that it does everything for the children of America to succeed.

1 comment:

  1. Great work!! You are making such an impact on the lives of these children. :)

    ReplyDelete