Sunday, July 20, 2014

Time flies when you're volunteering

The following was written by sophomore Abby Fenton , a psychology student, from Miami Hamilton about her experience working with the Boys & Girls Club on East Avenue with the Accelerated Reader (AR) program. 

I loved working with the kids at the Boys and Girls Club in Hamilton. It is such an awarding experience to see them learn how to read while becoming stronger individuals. 


I have read to a lot of different kids over the last few weeks. Some know how to read, some know how to read a little, and some not so much. I have enjoyed my time with each kid. They have taught me a lot about myself and how much fun it is working with kids. I was surprised how fast the time went by when I was helping them. I believe that I have grow more patient through this experience because sometimes kids can become frustrated when they do not know the words and it is is important to tell them to take their time and sound it out.


I like the way that the Boys and Girls Club are encouraging kids to read. Every two book they read they get a piece of candy or a snack. If they read five books in one day they get a toy. If they get up to 25 books total for the summer they get a toy from three or four boxes and if they get 50 books, they get invited to a pool party held at the club. This really makes reading fun. 


I hope that I get an opportunity to continue to volunteer with them in the fall so that I can grow more with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment