Sunday, July 20, 2014

Discovery Through Service

The following was written by senior Robynne Wilson , a nursing student, from Miami Hamilton about her experience working with Sojourner Recovery Services at the Buckeye Adolescent center. 

When I signed up to volunteer in the community, I thought I was going to be working with adults. When I found out that I was going to be working with children, I instantly told myself I made a mistake. All three of my children had just arrived home from college, and I knew I was going to need some adult conversation. 


However, the first day at Buckeye changed my mind. I met all of the children and knew I was in the right place. The first day the children seemed more like young adults who had made a big decision to change their lives with the help of some adults who have a special love for children.

As time went on we played games, had one on one conversation about different things and most of all we became friends. The staff at Buckeye makes  volunteering there a great experience, they also participate in the games and share their ideas on how the children can get the best experience out of the time we share with them. 

I have learned something about myself since I became a volunteer at Buckeye, I have a special gift with working with children, and from this day forward I will embrace it and make the best of each day and hopefully I can be apart of helping to change a child's life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment