Friday, July 11, 2014

Changing a child's outlook

The following was written by Chris Shugart , a statistics major, from Miami Hamilton about his experience working with the Boys & Girls club this summer with their Accelerated Reader program. 

Hello my name Chris. I am sophomore statistics major here at Miami University. My decision to volunteer this summer was mostly driven by my desire to give back to the community that allowed all of the opportunities that I have today. (The service hours don't hurt either!) We all have had our experiences with under privileged situations whether that be first hand or third person. Both points of view in this case are of despair, and one can't help but wonder how they can make it better. I am here to say that after helping little Emilio read Dr. Seuss every Wednesday I feel that I have provided some semblance of hope. Even if the only thing I accomplished this summer was to change his outlook into something positive then it would be a success. 

So, basically day to day we would show up at 2:45 and walk in to this fairly old building in one of Hamilton's less optimistic neighborhoods. Upon entry you notice right away the severe ratio imbalance of kids to staff. Believe me once you meet Deb and Karen you will know right away that it is not due to their lack of guidance. The funds are just not there to staff the place with enough help. Even with the usual three volunteers and Deb in the reading room there were plenty of kids who had to read by themselves. My point is they are a little overwhelmed and imagine the impact that could be made if child had a positive influence from a local university student. Just imagine what kind of ray of hope could be created. Even if we changed one child's outlook it would be a success.

Now all that being said this isn't exactly a cry out for volunteers. I was asked to write a brief report of what went on in the Boys and Girls club of East Hamilton and once I began writing I noticed the opportunity. For education majors I see it as a crime to not volunteer for one day which equals out to 2 hours a week. You would have the opportunity to not only practice your teaching skills but more importantly make sure that teaching is what you want to do. Daily you learn how to communicate better with children and how to motivate someone who can only think about Spongebob and Jelly Beans.  I can't think of a more practical experience for those seeking a teaching degree. Even if we changed one child's outlook it would be a success.

I tried to keep this as short and sweet as possible and with that being said I will conclude. These kids are our future contributors to society and it is hard for a lot of college students to put that into perspective, myself included. The most inspiring thing I can say about this experience is that with my sometimes goofy encouragement Emilio, Anthony, Ivan, Josh, and Giselle like to read just a little bit more now and have learned to see outside the world trapped inside that chain link fence. So, now I'll say it. Volunteer people its 2 out of 168 hours in a week! Thank you for your time and remember... Even if we changed one child's outlook it would be a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment