Monday, January 26, 2015

Someone to believe in us!

The following was written by junior Matthew Beckman, a Bachelor of Integrated Studies student, from Miami Hamilton about his experience working with the Boys & Girls Club program at Booker T. Washington Community Center.


Clint & I playing UNO at BTW with the kids!
My name is Matt Beckman and I am a student at Miami University Hamilton Campus. I have many nephews and nieces, but have never worked with children. During winter term I was chosen to participate in Sustained Service Scholars program to help children with their homework and reading. Volunteering at Booker T. Washington Community Center was one of the most challenging, rewarding, and heartfelt experiences of my life. 

I was met with many challenges as a tutor and reading coach at Booker T. Washington. The after school homework help program started right after school, so the kids were drained from school and the last thing that they want to do was work on more school. Through the lack of focus on the children's end I was able to teach myself patience and understanding. Some kids just did not want to work or had a bad day, so they would disrupt others and cause problems. To meet this challenge we would separate the kids who wanted to work and the problem starters.

Every day before I tutored I read this quote painted above the gym.
It gave me a boost of confidence knowing the struggles in life are
just a part of the ride. 
There is many rewarding aspects to tutoring kids and helping them read. Being able to directly impact poverty by helping kids and teaching them to value education is something that is rewarding in itself. When you work with a child and give them attention you see slight changes. For example, I worked with a 3rd grade girl with some behavioral problems. She would come in screaming, making rude comments to other children, and having attitude issues. When we would work on her homework she would get easily frustrated. After I looked in her eyes and reassured her that I believe in her and I am not giving up on her even though she wants me to I began to start to see slight changes. She began to open up more, sit in her chair, become more polite, work harder, and believe in herself. Now that same third grader is beginning to be the top reader and works hard and steadily on her homework. She is slow to dish out insults and quick to give a hug. See what I learned from that third grader is we all need someone to believe in us and not give up on us. It makes a huge difference in our attitudes in life. 

My heart was touched so many times as a Sustained Scholar at Booker T. Washington. After a few weeks of volunteering when the kids started to get used to me and I began to build solid relationships with the children. Everyday when I would leave there would be some child clinging to my hand telling me please don't go. If that doesn't pull on your heart strings I don't know what does. When you see a child's face light up when they get a problem right or you see a child apply what you taught them it touches your heart and changes you in a positive way. You feel that there is meaning and purpose to life once again. It's a hard pill to swallow that many of these kids who I know by name struggle with poverty, food insecurity, and very busy parents. I was able to help build a solid foundation for these kids by helping and telling them that education was a way to create a bright future. 

After having a conversation with a man who works at Booker T. I learned that some of the children do not have a male in the household to teach them things like riding a bike, playing catch, or fishing. The men that work at the community center fill that role for these kids and I was so blessed to meet every single one of them and take part in this experience. If you ever have a chance to make a difference in a child's life; take it you won't regret it. 

Matt also participated in the MLK Jr. March and National Days of Service! 
Top Left: Matt & Jeff Diver, Executive Director of S.E.L.F.
Scrubbing the bleachers! 
Group picture! 



No comments:

Post a Comment