Friday, January 23, 2015

It’s time to step up, take action!

The following was written by freshman Karen Mares, a speech pathology and audiology student, from Miami Hamilton about her experience working with the Boys & Girls Club program at Booker T. Washington Community Center. 

All good things must come to an end
         My time spent at BTW is unforgettable. It could be the worst day ever and as soon as I would walk in through the big, green doors there would always be someone to greet me and make me feel welcomed. The kids were wonderful and were always smiling. Elementary is such a fun age group to be around. I hope I made difference because I know they impacted my life.
Whether it was a gloomy or beautiful day my volunteer session would start off with signing in, of course, and having a casual talk with any of the staff around. I would arrive fifteen minutes prior to the students and set everything out with the help of the other volunteers. Once the children got to the room, that’s when the fun would start. The first hour was focused on homework. Although I got stumped on a couple of problems we would all work together to figure it out. I mostly worked with first graders but rotated constantly. The next hour was just for reading and taking A.R. tests. In this hour I was mostly with kindergarten but again rotated constantly. We worked on sight words as well. They would all get rewarded with candy and helllooo who doesn’t like candy? This was a strong motivation for all of them along with having a sticker chart for a pizza party if it all got filled in. At the end we would clean up and sign out. Out the door we went!
This experience, overall, made me realize that there is so much to life than just being self-centered. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and a simple “good job” could make a kids day. Positive comments make a huge difference. The children at BTW have great potential and I see a bright future in front of them. The right guidance and structure will keep them motivated to strive for the best. I can easily say all the staffs and volunteers were GREAT! I can’t stress enough that my experience was wonderful and I learned a lot about each individual. Although three weeks, four times a week, and two hours and thirty minutes a day may not seem like a long time, it was definitely plenty of time to increase their reading, homework, and even life skills.
I would like to thank everyone who took part in this and helped me with any questions or concerns I had. I encourage anyone to take part in our community and help out because although you may not notice the difference I guarantee someone will appreciate the time you volunteered. The world is our home no matter who you are or where you came from. It’s time to step up, take action, and share your story!


- -All good things come to an end, but they will always be remembered- -

No comments:

Post a Comment