Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Positive role models

The following was written by senior Catherine Snader, a nursing student, from Miami Hamilton about her experience working with the Boys & Girls Club program at Booker T. Washington Community Center. 

Over winter break I have had the opportunity to volunteer at the Booker T. Washington Community Center in Hamilton near the Miami Hamilton Campus along with other students.  We are working with students at the center in the after school homework and reading program.  Although we are only a couple weeks into the program it's amazing how much learning has taken place between the students and the volunteers.  That's the great thing about service learning, everyone gets to learn!  

Before the previous few weeks I didn't realize there was such a need for volunteers in our local community.  Often at the after school program there are more students needing help with their homework, than we have volunteers.  Not only do we help the students with their homework, but this week I realized how important it is for them to have positive role models in their lives.  At first I didn't know how the students would respond to doing their homework, but as soon as I walked in a little girl ran up to me and asked me if I would help her with her homework.  I am really looking forward to continue building positive relationships with these students.         

No comments:

Post a Comment