Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Sherry Akins: Sustained Service Scholars

I have enjoyed my time spent working with the children at Booker T. Washington Community Center.  There are many moments that have been memorable or enjoyable.  Each child has a very different personality, which has made each visit a unique, and sometimes challenging experience.  Some of the children love reading or being read to, but others are a little less enthusiastic and need some encouragement to get them to participate.  One theme I have noticed among them is a strong need for one on one interaction.  The children often lean on me while they work on their assignments, and want to touch my hands, play with the rings on my fingers, and will physically or verbally bring my attention back to them when I try to divide my attention between two of them.  Some days, they are more interested in learning about me than in working on their homework, but I can ususally draw them back in by reminding them that they can go play games after completing their work.  They really love the community center and staff members!  I am honored to have been a part of the volunteer staff at Booker T. Washington!

Sherry Akins

No comments:

Post a Comment