Monday, January 25, 2016

Akshetha Reddy: Sustained Service Scholars Winter 2016

My experience at Booker T. Washington Community Center this winter has been amazing, I met really great kids who are interested in learning and reading about many things. I think this is a great way to encourage young students into getting in a habit of finishing their school work first and asking for help when they feel the need to. Right after they finish their homework, they get a chance to pick a book they want to read and be rewarded in form of candy for reading. I loved hearing children read stories out loud and asking about what some words mean, this reminded me of a quote by Albert Einstein “The important thing is not to stop questioning” and I felt honored that I could be part of something they learned.

        After meeting some of the kids who are expected to be at a certain level of reading and they were behind the level should have been at their age, I felt that it is our responsibility to teach them and help them get on same level as their peers. Their enthusiasm is what moved me so much and my time volunteering there flies by so fast. Some of the kids who come to center to their homework feel unenthusiastic about the work that was assigned to them at school and struggle finishing it, but having someone next to them to help them understand their homework and motivating them to do their work helps them very much. If this program is continued like this where kids have safe place to study and play after their school, I strongly believe that these children will achieve great education standards.

        I have enjoyed my time at the community center and had great experience. I also learned that privileges are very different, even in schools when the community is different. I love the motive behind this program and had great time sharing my knowledge and being able to make some difference with this opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment