Friday, August 1, 2014

A Bittersweet Ending

The following was written by junior Jamie Whitemore, nursing student and STAYcation alumnus, from Miami Hamilton about her experience working with Sojourner Recovery Services Adolescent Center.

Throughout the course of the summer, I have volunteered at Sojourner Recovery Services. I volunteered one day a week for two hours. During this time, we played various games and participated in many different activities with the residents.  I remember I was very nervous as we were standing on the front porch doorsteps on that very first day waiting to be greeted by the residents.  However, as the summer progressed, I was no longer nervous and found myself looking forward to Mondays and yearning for that time to come. At times, it was challenging to engage the residents, but I knew our group was there for a purpose and we welcomed this challenge. Unfortunately, I was sick one day and not able to be there. I was surprised by how much I found myself missing everyone. This week, the residents participated in a low ropes activity. It wasn’t until this time that I realized it was no longer ‘us’ and ‘them”. It seemed as if we were coming together as one. It was nice to see how the group transformed over the nine weeks we spent together.


We only have one week left with the young men and women of Sojourner and I can only hope that I have impacted their lives in the powerful ways they have impacted mine.  It was a pleasure to get to know each individual. I realized each of us had a lot in common, despite coming from different backgrounds.  My only hope is that each of them remember the time we spent together and take those memories with them as they move forward with their lives in a positive direction.  After spending the summer with the fine young folks of Sojourner, I know each of them are capable of creating a bright future for themselves.  We may never cross paths again, but each of them touched my life in such a way that will be with me forever.  It is a bittersweet ending to an opportunity that proved to be a great life experience! 

Below are a few pictures from the low ropes course. See the rest here

Jamie doing the low ropes course! 


Eileen trying to find her way out!


No comments:

Post a Comment